Thursday, July 2, 2009

Simple Summer Stuff

I can't stand wasting a lot of time preparing food in the summer. Most of the meals we have are light and quick. A lot of evenings I say, "everyone is on their own for dinner tonight" - which means there are leftovers that need to be eaten or I know there's plenty of sandwich stuff that just needs to be put out. We still eat together as a family, but that's my way of letting everyone know that Mom's tired and I'm just not cooking!

One thing that I like to have on hand in the fridge to go with sandwiches is this recipe that came from my mom and my grandma. I don't know where it came from to begin with, but everyone loves this so I make it a lot during the summer. Not to mention that it's a great snack during the summer when cucumbers are fresh from the garden.

Creamy Garlic Cucumbers

3 cucumbers, peeled and sliced (1/8" to 1/4" thick slices - no thicker than that)
1 cup Miracle Whip (not mayo, you need that "tangy zip") - light is okay
1/2 tablespoon garlic salt (or more - to taste)

Mix everything together in a bowl with a lid and refrigerate for at least
1/2 hour before eating. The juice from the cucumbers will mix with the Miracle Whip & get creamier as it sits. This will keep in the fridge for about a week (ours never last that long).

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm those cucumbers sound good...I love them but they don't like me. I get such an upset stomach when I eat them.
    Yes, I do use flat beer in my pizza dough...and I make my own because I am also CHEAP!!!

    Sandi, do you get anyone clicking on your ads? Email me at cowabunga14u@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good. My Mom used to make a cucumber dish in the summer also that I still make. I am going to give this a try.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - please feel free to comment!