Saturday, April 18, 2009

Rhubarb...Rhubarb Cake, Rhubarb Nectar, Rhubarb Mmm...

I just love it when my perennials start to sprout up out of the dirt! I am still waiting for my rhubarb to make a dramatic entrance. I guess all I can really do now is the spring clean up part and figure out where I want to grow what this year. I’ve decided to grow chamomile for the first time; I have a good sunny patch in a ditch near our mailbox that is currently nothing but crabgrass, so I figure I should give it a go and see how that turns out. If it grows, I will have tea; if only a few flowers grow, they are pretty, if anything. My hope is to eliminate the need to mow that area and catch a little rain that otherwise would partially wash out the foot of our sand driveway. My county is for the most part sand.

Speaking of rhubarb, I stumbled across a wonderful photostream on flickr.com the other day. GreenWellies is the name of the user, and she is graciously allowing me to use her rhubarb photos. They are absolutely gorgeous. Even if my own rhubarb had sprouted, her photos would still knock mine out of the park!
In her post for her photo, 'Rhubarb Maximus and the Aftereffects of Watering With Comfrey Tea', (please see it at http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenwellies/2510773072/ ) there is a recipe for her comfrey tea, which I am going to try if I can get some comfrey to start somewhere in our yard.
She has also posted a fabulous recipe for Rhubarb Nectar, here's a link: http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenwellies/2515593976/ . If you haven't tried it yet, you absolutely must! My mother-in-law made it for my wedding, mixed with Ginger Ale & served with Raspberry Sherbet on top. Another favorite of mine, definitely worth serving at a special occasion!
Here's my own contribution in the recipe genre for today. A Rhubarb cake worth making!
Rhubarb Cake

2 Tb butter, melted
1 c. packed brown
sugar
4 c. sliced rhubarb (fresh or frozen – if you use frozen, drain,
but do
not press out)
1 ½ c. sugar
1 ½ c. flour
1 ½ tsp baking
powder

tsp. salt
3 eggs
½ c. water
1 tsp.
vanilla

In a greased
9x13 pan, combine butter & brown
sugar. Top with
rhubarb.

In a large bowl, combine the
sugar, flour, baking powder
and salt.

In another bowl, whisk
the eggs, water and vanilla;
stir into dry ingredients just until
moistened. Pour over rhubarb.
Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or
until cake springs back when touched.
Serve with whipped cream or ice
cream.

1 comment:

  1. I had a rhubarb plant in the corner of my yard in Anchorage. Maybe I will see if I can find a spot for a plant or two here.
    Enjoy the bike this weekend,
    Sq

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - please feel free to comment!