Thursday, December 10, 2009

Time For a Re-post!

I posted this recipe back in April, but since Christmas is approaching with break-neck speed I figured it was time to post it again! 
I even posted a picture this time, looks like I left it out last April.



LAST COOKIE.
I was lucky to get this photo.  This batch went awfully fast!
Toffee Almond Sandies...mmm...


I often find myself swapping recipes with relatives or friends at work, church or elsewhere. We are all working moms, and who would know better than a working mom how important it is to share good things that work?

My hubby's aunt, Punky, gave this recipe to my mother-in-law, Dawn, who is the source of some of the best and easiest recipes I have. Absolutely maaavelous! These melt in your mouth...

Auntie Punk’s Toffee Almond Sandies

My new favorite cookie!

1 cup butter (Auntie Punk uses ½ margarine)
1 cup sugar
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup oil
2 eggs
1 tsp almond extract
4 ½ cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp salt
2 cups chopped almonds (sliced almonds work well, too - Punky uses walnuts)
1 package English toffee bits (I use the Heath candybar brand bits without the chocolate).

Mix together butter, powdered & granulated sugars, oil, eggs and almond extract with an electric mixer.

Add all of the remaining ingredients and mix by hand. Roll dough into 1 ½” balls, then roll in granulated sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheets and flatten a little with a glass, fork or fingers (if you use a glass, dip the bottom of the glass in sugar to keep the cookie dough from sticking). 

**NOTE  -  This cookie dough may seem a little sticky.  It's ok to chill the dough in the refrigerator before rolling into balls.  I make mine one day, then bake it the next to break up the work if I'm really busy.**

These cookies will spread a little, flattened cookies should be spaced about 1 ½” – 2” apart.

Bake at 350° F. for 12-14 minutes (only until set firm, not brown).  Allow cookies to cool on the pan for a couple of minutes before moving to a towel or cooling rack.

Yield 8-10 dozen.

I am going to try something different next time: substituting rum extract for the almond extract, and pecans in place of the almonds. I will let you know how it turns out!
 
 
12/10/09 - P.S. - I did try out the recipe with the pecan and rum extract substitutions.  They tasted alright, but the original is far better!  Something about the almond flavor and scent of the cookie and the almond chips with the toffee just seemed to mix better to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by - please feel free to comment!