Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Stripe-It-Rich Cake




My boys and I went to my grand-niece's 4th birthday on Sunday afternoon. It was a beautiful, warm day. It's amazing how fast the little ones grow! When we talked on the phone a couple of weeks before, I asked Jordan what she wanted for her birthday. Of course, she wanted anything Hannah Montana or Tinker Belle. She did ask for a yo-yo, but believe it or not, I couldn't find one at Wal-Mart!





I did find her a Tinker Belle pop-up teacup house, though. I think she liked it. It looked like an extension of her birthday cake... which was really, really good. I love cakes with whipped cream frosting. Much better than the overy-sugared greasy stuff you usually get from a grocery store bakery! This cake came from Cub - I will admit, I was impressed.





I don't think Jordan cared one way or another about the cake. She had so much fun that day, she was ready for a nap by the time her candles were ready to be blown out!



While I'll admit it was a great cake, I must say that my favorite for birthdays is still the good old-fashioned Jello Pudding Stripe-It-Rich Cake.

You simply bake a cake according to the directions on the box (yes, this is an easy recipe - prepackaged means time-savings, in most cases);
before the cake has cooled, poke holes all over the top of it with either a clean wooden dowel, the handle of a wooden spoon, or a pencil that's been wrapped in plastic wrap.

Pour 4 cups cold milk into a large bowl. Add two, 4-serving-size each packages of Jello pudding and mix for two minutes with a wire whisk. Pour the pudding over the cake before it has a chance to set up. Cover, then refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.

We've mixed and matched all types of flavors. I think my favorite was a yellow cake mix with pistachio pudding on top, although anything chocolate is always popular at our house :)

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog, looks like it was a fun day.

    If you get a chance I have a couple of quick and fun desserts on my blogs.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by - please feel free to comment!